Children’s Autism Spectrum Disorder Unit
Specialty Unit for Children Ages 5-12 with Autism Spectrum Disorder
At Brentwood Hospital, we embrace each individual’s diverse needs and create individualized treatment plans that can help reduce or eliminate problematic behaviors. Comprehensive treatment includes individual and family engagement aimed at creating a collaborative understanding of behaviors and/or illnesses.
Each treatment experience is tailored to keep children and families moving toward improved outcomes that can continue beyond the child’s stay at our facility. Our multidisciplinary treatment team incorporates data-driven and culturally responsive treatment interventions while providing a nurturing, trauma-informed and compassionate therapeutic environment to help our patients on the path to recovery.
Our staff uses evidence-based treatment interventions and encourages positive replacement behaviors. Our focus is on trust, empowerment, compassion and building individual resiliency. Our goal is to enhance your child’s skills so that they can more effectively communicate their needs, desires and choices.
We incorporate training for parents, guardians and family members in weekly sessions for the duration of their child’s treatment and offer medication management services as needed. Our goal is to help your child return to their community as soon as possible (ideally within 21-30 days).
- High staff-to-patient ratio – Direct care staff trained in Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA)
- 24/7 nursing care
- Daily assessment and medical care by pediatrician and psychiatrist
- Interventions designed by a Board-Certified Behavior Analyst
- Functional behavioral assessments
- Behavior support plans
- Reinforcement-based interventions
- Programming for generalization of skills across staff, settings and materials
- Graphic representations of patient performance
- Individualized social skills intervention
- Individualized parent training
- Licensed therapist to provide individual and family therapy
- Activity therapy and recreational activities to help your child learn coping skills
- Structured programming with a focus on consistent routines and visual schedules
- Assistance with communication, hygiene and other activities of daily living
Our Dedicated Team
The treatment team can include:
- Licensed Registered Nurses
- Board-Certified Behavior Analysts
- Master’s-Level LPC and MSW Therapists
- Activity Therapists
- ASD TEACCH-trained Educational Director
- Mental Health Technicians, informed by Applied Behavior Analysis approaches
Confidential Referral and Admission
Referrals for all programs may be made 24/7 by calling our Intake Department at 318-678-7500. Individuals are admitted based on a level-of-care assessment. An intake counselor will evaluate the needs of the patient and may schedule an appointment for a no-cost, confidential assessment. Most assessments will be scheduled the same day. If admission is not indicated, further assistance will be provided to link the individual with other appropriate resources.