What to Wear
Limit your clothing to 3 changes of clothing. A washer and dryer is available on each unit to wash clothes. Casual clothing is recommended.
What To Bring
- Three changes of casual clothing without drawstrings
- For women, slacks or jeans with tops or comfortable, casual dresses. No short dresses, short shorts or very low shirts showing cleavage are allowed.
- For men, slacks or jeans with casual shirts. Offensive or inappropriate logos will not be allowed.
- A supply of socks and underwear that will last three to five days. Do not bring tube socks or leggings.
- Two pairs of comfortable shoes without shoelaces
- Open backed slippers are discouraged because of the high risk for falls.
- No boots are allowed.
- A sweater or light jacket without drawstrings
- Toiletries including comb, brush, deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste. The hospital can also provide toiletries.
- The following are not allowed: makeup, aerosol cans, glass or aluminum containers, mirrors, products containing alcohol, flat irons or curling irons.
Notification & Storage
Unit staff must be notified at the nurses’ station whenever patient belongings are brought into or removed from the unit. This ensures the maintenance of a safe environment on the unit and reduces loss of personal items. All disallowed items will be stored in a storeroom, placed in the unit safe or sent home with family or friends.
Please provide a list of your current prescriptions and over-the-counter medications, including dosages and frequency. Medications should be left at home unless they have been approved by hospital staff or physicians. Your intake counselor will check with the nursing or pharmacy unit to see if your medications are on our formulary.
What NOT To Bring
- Electronics including MP3 players, radios, electronic readers, lap top computers, tablets, alarm clocks or other items with a cord
- Other valuables
- Large amounts of cash
- Adult patients are permitted to keep money to use in vending machines for drinks and snacks.
- Children and adolescents are not allowed to use vending machines so money is not necessary.
- Clothing with drawstrings including sweatpants, running shorts, hoodies, pajamas, etc.
- Belts – Pants need to be tight enough so they don’t sag
- Lighters or matches
- Brentwood is Smoke/Tobacco free
- Your own pillow, blanket or stuffed animal – in order to control for infections.
- Food and drinks from outside of the hospital. You will be provided with snacks in addition to regular meals.
- Medications – all necessary medications will be provided by the facility. If we are not able to provide your prescription, your supply may be sent from home.
- Luggage should be taken home by family or friends upon admission; if luggage is left, it must be properly labeled for storage.
Brentwood Hospital is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged articles. Please do not bring valuable items to the hospital.